drok...@gmail.com:
Hi,

I'd like to boot a usb, and do full backup/restores of a qubes install, offline.

Anyone doing this already?  Some kind of qubes specific recovery usb, with lots
of room for backups.

In my opinion (others might have better ideas), Qubes isn't the right tool for that job. Look for something that can do a full image/bare metal backup of your internal drives. It doesn't have to be very fancy. Nearly any distro that can boot as a liveUSB can run "sudo cp /dev/sdd sddbackup" [where sdd is an example of an internal system drive as viewed from the liveUSB command line]. Note that the file generated this way will be equivalent in size to your internal drive's size.

Personally, I use qubes-backup and do a reinstall & restore of Qubes on the rare occasions I need to instead of the above. Full image backups can get impractical.