drok...@gmail.com:

I agree the qubes backup/restore is easier.  I learned the lesson of don't make
any changes to system templates like Debian-9, because you can't backup/restore
them.  I'm trying to keep the number of qubes down to just one screen full in
Qubes Manager, which gets hard quickly.

I'll either have to start creating a bunch of extra templates, or start writing
down any changes I make.  I'll probably just write down the changes, then lose
that piece of paper DOH!

Templates are easier to manage. Before updating, make a clone of them. If the update goes well, delete the clone. If not, delete the original and rename the clone. This does not negate the need for periodic full backups, of course. For full Qubes version upgrades, it's useful to keep a record of changes you make to templates too. I keep meaning to do that one of these days!