On 6/24/19 11:03 AM, unman wrote:
On Sun, Jun 23, 2019 at 11:54:40PM -0700, Sphere wrote:
/etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes-UpdatesProxy
$type:TemplateVM $default allow,target=VPN

As soon as I execute a sudo dnf update to my template VM, it takes a little
less than a second for it to go
"Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'updates'"
"Error: Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'updates'"

dom0 updates isn't suffering from this which is why I don't really get what the
problem is. At first I thought it's the custom resolv.conf being used for
dnscrypt-proxy but that doesn't seem to be the case after trying to use the dns
server of the vpn itself

Web browsing and everything else is working as intended through the VPN qube
and only TemplatVM updates are failing. I don't think there is a problem with
what I set on /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes-UpdatesProxy

But I don't really face this problem when the target is set to the net VM. That
however is no good since I'm looking to utilize the VPN for Template updating.

Is TemplateVM updating dependent on whether or not net VM is capable of
connecting to the internet and domain name resolutions?

dom0 updates are governed by the global setting: Dom0 UpdateVM -
presumably *not* set to VPN.

Without knowing how your VPN qubes is configured, it's difficult to say
what's going on.
Are you able to browse from VPN?
Have you configured VPN qube to provide updateProxy service?

I also experience this regularly with fedora-30, where versions 28 and earlier updated reliably.

I think it has something to do with my update vm being a qube dedicated to that purpose: sys-update has to start before the template can receive updated. However, earlier versions of Fedora would wait instead of timing-out immediately.

So this looks like a bug that should have an issue opened for it.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket