@unman: thanks for that
I also noticed that qubes-updates-proxy.service fails by default on startup and
I'm unsure if that is a minimal template-only problem but I was able to fix it
thanks to it indicating that the problem is a missing folder:
/var/run/qubes-service/qubes-updates-proxy

Pretty much the same problem that I get with clocksync service thankfully so I
was able to confirm that this service was running as intended

systemctl status qubes-updates-proxy:
qubes-updates-proxy.service - Qubes updates proxy (tinyproxy)
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/qubes-updates-proxy.service; enabled;
 vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2019-06-27 12:06:14 +08; 2s ago
  Process: 1603 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/qubes/iptables-updates-proxy start (code=e
xited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 1608 (tinyproxy)
    Tasks: 3 (limit: 414)
   Memory: 4.1M
   CGroup: /system.slice/qubes-updates-proxy.service
           ├─1608 /usr/bin/tinyproxy -d -c /etc/tinyproxy/tinyproxy-updates.conf
           ├─1609 /usr/bin/tinyproxy -d -c /etc/tinyproxy/tinyproxy-updates.conf
           └─1610 /usr/bin/tinyproxy -d -c /etc/tinyproxy/tinyproxy-updates.conf

Jun 27 12:06:14 redacted systemd[1]: Starting Qubes updates proxy (tinyproxy)...
Jun 27 12:06:14 redacted systemd[1]: Started Qubes updates proxy (tinyproxy).
Jun 27 12:06:14 redacted tinyproxy-wrapper[1608]: Found tinyproxy at
/usr/bin/tinyproxy

Despite this however, the problem still persists and still behaves the same
even after trying dnf update for 5 times

I think is right about the fact that there is a bug about this

@Chris I think you may be right about the fact that this is a bug and I guess
it's time to escalate it into an issue in github. I'm willing to lend a helping
hand in making the issue as needed.

My setup is all fully dependent on variations of fedora-30-minimal template
that I have tailored depending on use-case of the AppVM that would be using it.