> > Dear Qubes Community,
> > The Whonix Project [1] announced the release of Whonix 15 today. [2]
> > Project lead Patrick Schleizer [3] wrote:
> >
> > > After approximately one year of development, the Whonix Project is
> > > proud to announce the release of Whonix 15.
>
> > Please note that, according to the Whonix Support Schedule [4], Whonix
> > 14 will reach end-of-life (EOL) in one month.
> > Therefore, all current Whonix users are urged to upgrade from Whonix
> > 14 to Whonix 15 [5] within the next month.
>
> The "instructions" on the whonix webpage are more than confusing. There
> are 3 alternative "ways" suggested. Which one is best /advised?
>
> I got the impression that a complete reinstall requires (a) a fedora
> appvm (I have none), (b) does not work over TOR, since the AppVM's
> based on whonix must be removed (or set to dummy template) before
> removing the whonix-14-templates. Then sys-whonix is gone, right?
> That seems awkward asprocedure. Can someone explain, please? Why can't I
> install whonix-gw-15 and whonix-ws-15 via dnf in dom0 and THEN remove
> the -14- ones? Cheers, Bernhard

After botching the whonix-14 template with an unsuccessful upgrade attempt I
reinstalled it by entering sudo qubes-dom0-update
--enablerepo=qubes-templates-community --action=reinstall
qubes-template-whonix-gw-14 as explained at
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Qubes/Reinstall

Because this page gives 'sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.anon-whonix' as a
mandatory step I executed that after the reinstall. This installed 2 new
templates whonix-gw-15, whonix-ws-15 and a whonix-ws-15-dvm, with all the old
stuff still present. I deleted the Whonix 14 templates with dnf and all seems
fine now.

So, apparently just entering sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.anon-whonix is the
easiest way to install new Whonix 15 templates. I didn't create a special
update VM for this. Probably it is best to remove the old ones first even
though it also works if you don't, apparently. If you need to *upgrade* for
some reason (instead of simply replacing the templates with new ones) then you
should *NOT* follow this procedure, of course.
Also see: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Qubes/Install

I find it pretty confusing too ... Maybe an expert can give some additional
info :)