On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 09:13:16PM -0500, Andrew David Wong wrote:

> On 14/07/2019 9.08 PM, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> > On 14/07/2019 8.19 AM, unman wrote:

> >> Yes, this is standard in Qubes.

> >> The update widget calls qubesctl and runs the state file in
> >> /srv/formuals/base/update-formula/update/qubes-vm.sls
> >
> >> You can run this yourself by: qubesctl --skip-dom0
> >> --targets=<targets> --show-output state.sls update.qubes-vm
> >
> >> Skip the "show-output" option if you want to script.
> >
> >> It's a wrapper to salts pkg.uptodate call, so you could put that
> >> in a state file yourself.
> >

> > Thanks, unman. I'm not quite sure what the last sentence means.
> > Why would one want to put that in a state file oneself?
> >

> Could you explain what these options mean?
>
>   --skip-dom0 -- The documentation doesn't really explain this.
>   --targets -- Is this the qube to be updated in this case?

--skip-dom0 -- Doesnt try to action state in dom0.

--targets -- You can give list of qubes to use as targets, (comma
delimited) or use keywords. 'qubesctl --templates'.

> The reason I'm asking: I've just been updating via `dnf update` (and
> similar) for a long time now, but I'm noticing that certain bug fixes
> are being implemented via Salt, and I'm worried that I might skip
> these fixes if I never update via Salt. Do you think that updating via
> qubesctl is a better idea than updating "manually," or does it not
> matter?

I really do recommend using qubesctl for almost all system
configuration. If only because it makes recovery so much easier.
I see people saying "keep a list of packages you've installed" - if you
keep state and use salt you can rebuild your system (almost) completely
automatically.

I think there are some cases where a configuration fix may be pushed via
salt, but in most I would expect changes to be incorporated in to an
updated package, so you would get those using a manual update.