On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 10:56:13AM -0700, brendan.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 16, 2019 at 10:35:11 AM UTC-4, unman wrote:
> > I really do recommend using qubesctl for almost all system
> > configuration. If only because it makes recovery so much easier.
> > I see people saying "keep a list of packages you've installed" - if you
> > keep state and use salt you can rebuild your system (almost) completely
> > automatically.
>
> Do you happen to have some example "personalized" salt scripts you use (or a
> pointer to where someone has posted some)?
>
> I was planning to put together some bash scripts to push configuration into
> my templates (90% repo adjustments and specific packages to download), but
> your comment above is intriguing.

I cant post my files, but I've put up an example which shows how to
create a qube for building Qubes.
Here: - https://github.com/unman/notes/tree/master/config/build

There are some notes I used in training which are a very basic
hands on intro to salt in Qubes:
https://github.com/unman/notes/tree/master/salt

In the build example,you'll see:
1. Create.sls - Create a new qube: installing fedora-30-minimal if not already
there, cloning to new template, using new template to create qube,
configure the new qube, and configure dom0.
2. install.sls - installs required software in template.
3. config.sls - Configures new qube as needed.

I've broken this down to make it as clear as possible, and kept it
simple.
You could run each section like:
qubesctl state.sls build.create
qubesctl --skip-dom0 --targets=template-builder state.sls build.install
qubesctl --skip-dom0 --targets=builder state.sls build.config

Of course, you can do everything here using scripting. But for some
things, (like targeting packages and configuration at distro and version),
salt is somewhat easier.

unman