*On Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 1:20:30 PM UTC-7, O K wrote:*

> *Ok, I figured out the difference between sha and other process and I
> guess it would be better to use the other process.  I found some good
> instructions along with qubes instructions so I will try to implement
> those.  Thanks.*

Reply: I perform both the sha256sum verification on all downloaded ISO's
> and also, unless I am lazy or in a rush, verify the signatures with gpg. As
> stated in another reply, this safeguards in case there is a fake sha256sum
> which, conveniently, matches a fake ISO installed by a malicious actor.

OK wrote:  Re: What is the SHA-256 checksum of the Qubes-R4.0.1-x86_64 ISO?
Yeah, I just want to know how to get the actual SHA-256 of the Qubes ISO.
 I don't know how to use DIGESTS.  Is verifying the master file and sig
file a different process than comparing the sha-256?

Reply: They are different as per my above answer. However, afaik both not
either.

Tip: If you have the DIGEST, finding it often being the hard part, you are
home free. Just find the line that corresponds to the version of the ISO
you have. The correct sha256sum is listed right there.

*OK wrote:   Sorry, I know it's a pain bc I don't know much, but a yes or
no is fine, I just want to be sure*

I been into Qubes about three years still consider myself a newbie. Tip: do
as much reading and tweaking on one's own before posting.

*OK wrote: And what is top-posting?  Thanks*.

Top posting is when you write above rather than below what you are replying
to. It is sometimes the default when you hit "Reply" on email, so afaik it
is better to go to the google groups web page where you have more control.