Jeffersonian American:
I need to re-install Qubes and last time I installed, maybe around Feb
2019, there was an advisory about an apt-bug which required a fix. Is that
now taken care of automatically in the deb-9 template or is that procedure
still required?

Should be already addressed in 4.02, but if you're reinstalling 4.01 use the Qubes Updater (sun icon) to update dom0 first, reboot, then use it to update the templates. It handles the apt fix.