Hi Brendan,

I'm not sure why you're getting only 50/50 success rate on the installations.
For me it's been perfect every time. This will need to be investigated.

Some of that stuff about increasing I/O throughput and stub priority stuff
sounds great as I was unaware of it. Right now when QWT is installed the
automatic installation leaves a checkbox related to increasing I/O performance
with an extra Xen driver unchecked. I believe I tested it before and as long as
you have decent amount of updates installed it appears to work fine. Maybe we
can fine a command-line switch to install that extra driver too?

As for the Windows updates do be informed that we must install a minimum of
them or QWT will fail to install causing the system to go into recovery mode on
next boot. Just having Service Pack 1 (SP1) isn't enough. Hence why I had to at
least use wusa.exe to install those to WSU update packages out of the box. (The
Servicing Stack and Convenience Rollup which is a bunch of updates in two
update packages)

I don't see why restarting windows-mgmt would be necessary. If you look at the
create-media.sh script I've tried to make it as safe as possible by setting a
TRAP on exit, ^C, etc so if the process is interrupted in anyway it will do
it's best to clean up. However, all this may be fixed by packer (package on
Debian) which I'm looking into and could completely streamline this process.

Right now I have updates set to download and install automatically but turned
off automatic reboots. I didn't want to turn off updates out of the box because
as provided the machine is missing many important security updates. For
example, it's vulnerable to MS17-010. However, this technically shouldn't
matter as long as port 445 it's port forwarded to the LAN or another qube.

I also never had an issue with the qrexec_timeout but perhaps that's because I
have a fast SSD.

I've been working on this lately as it would be able to easily specify programs
to pre-install:
https://github.com/crazyqube/qvm-create-windows-qube/tree/chocolatey
(Read the todo in the README for more info about research and future changes)

It's mostly done although it requires testing. Also, this:
https://github.com/chocolatey/chocolatey.org/issues/687
is currently a big issue as I don't want people who want their Windows VM
behind Tor to be treated like second-class citizens.

Lastly, this project is in the process of being put into official documentation!
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-doc/pull/854