On 01/09/2019 3.46 AM, 'Heinrich Ulbricht' via qubes-users wrote:
>> Personally, I would just stick with this. In other words, I would treat
>> the new Qubes installation as completely new and use qvm-backup-restore
>> as the only mechanism for migrating my old data to the new installation.
>> This is the only way I would be confident that I weren't screwing
>> anything up.
>>

> Thank you very much for helping me out on this, awokd and Andrew. Currently
> I'm leaning toward taking the safe path. If I understand correctly that
> means:
>
>    1. Backup everything that's on the SSD *and* the external storage pool
>    HDDs - this will take a lot of time and space but that's the price I have
>    to pay for the safety I get
>    2. Connect the new SSD, wipe the external drives
>    3. Install Qubes OS on the new SSD
>    4. Create external storage pools on the additional HDDs
>    5. Make the SSD the default pool; restore VMs for SSD
>    6. Make external disk 1 the default pool; restore VMs for this pool
>    7. Make external disk 2 the default pool; restore VMs for this pool
>    8. Switch default pool back to SSD
>    9. Done
>
> How does this sound?

I haven't personally used external storage pools, so I can't comment
there. (Thankfully, though, others have already weighed in on that part.)

Related to Brendan's point, in step 1, it's important to *verify* the
backups you've just created.

GUI: Qube Manager -> Restore qubes from backup -> [x] Verify backup
     integrity, do not restore the data

CLI: qvm-backup-restore --verify-only [...]

As the saying goes: Backups always succeed. It's restores that fail.

(If you have the extra disks, it would technically be even safer to
use new HDDs and refrain from wiping the existing ones until after
you've verified that everything is correct in the new system, but this
might be overly cautious. I personally don't feel the need to do this
anymore, because I know the data is already there in a verified Qubes
backup, and I've tested my ability to manually recover it
independently of Qubes as a last resort.)

Aside from these caveats, your plan sounds like what I would do.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org