> Can anybody suggest a modification (or hack, however dirty - it's meant to
> be temporary) to restore.py so it won't need 700 GB of additional temporary
> storage when I try to restore my 700 GB AppVM?

The best bet I currently have it applying the "sleep trick" (see here
<https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3230#issuecomment-340253679>)
to line 598ff
<https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-core-admin-client/blob/master/qubesadmin/backup/restore.py#L598>

in *restore.py*.

So this:
elif inner_name in self.handlers:
tar2_cmdline = ['tar',
'-%svvO' % ("t" if self.verify_only else "x"),
inner_name]
redirect_stdout = subprocess.PIPE

Would become something like this:
elif inner_name in self.handlers:
tar2_cmdline = ['tar',
'-%svvO' % ("t" if self.verify_only else "x"),
'--checkpoint=20000',
'--checkpoint-action=exec=\'sleep "$(stat -f --format="(((%b-%a)/%b)^5)*30"
/var/tmp | bc -l)"\'',
inner_name]
redirect_stdout = subprocess.PIPE

Too naive?