On Mon, Nov 04, 2019 at 11:48:12AM +0000, Claudia wrote:
> Anac:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Is it just me or does the iso really not fit onto a regular DVD? I tried
> > several burn programs - same result. The 4.8 GB iso doesn't fit onto a
> > 4.7 GB DVD. Is a double-layer DVD required or is it possible to delete
> > some seldomly needed parts from the iso? Or did I catch a
> > [three-digits-agency]-in-the-middle version?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Anac
> >

> I haven't tried burning it, but it looks like you're right. The iso is
> 4,790,943,744 bytes (4.79 GB, 4.56 GiB). The highest-capacity kind of single
> layer DVD appears to be 4,700,000,000 bytes [1].
>
> Apparently it's not that unusual though. There are several releases
> exceeding 4.7 GB, some over 5.2 GB. [2]
>
> Maybe you could unpack it, poke around and see if you can delete about 90 MB
> worth of stuff, and re-pack it. Otherwise you might have to build the ISO
> yourself.
>
> In any case, though, you'll break the signature, which is usually the
> biggest advantage of using a DVD instead of USB.
>
> [1] http://www.osta.org/technology/dvdqa/dvdqa6.htm
> [2] https://ftp.qubes-os.org/iso/

You're absolutely right.
There was a discussion over at qubes-issues (I think), about the
problems of trying to fit in to a standard DVD, and I think this release
reflects that.
As I recall the assumption was that most users burn to USB - clearly not
so here. I haven't tried this iso but I assume that double-layer would be
required or USB.
Workarounds for this would be to release different versions of the iso
for different use cases, with stripped down or alternate packages. E.g,
removing Whonix, or packaging it in a different way, including only
minimal versions of Fedora/Debian with ability to install online as
needed. All of these run against the current wish to provide a fully
functioning system out of the box. (Debian templates, of course, are
small but not minimal, and require users to install software they want,
as it is.)