On 2019-11-05 10:01 PM, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> On 2019-11-05 8:15 AM, Steve Coleman wrote:

>> Please see the discussion on this issue:
>
>> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5367
>
>> Basically, making this release small enough to fit on a DVD would
>> have required too many other sacrifices. In the end, we decided
>> that this was the least bad option.
>
>>> I would like to make a suggestion here.
>
>>> If you know at the time of a release that the ISO will not fit on
>>> a regular DVD then it would make sense to mention that up front,
>>> and then use a link to point the potential user directly at the
>>> instructions for using/creating a bootable USB thumb drive.
>
>>> The installation instructions do mention this USB option, but
>>> that "option" should be front and center at the top, as it is
>>> probably the best/only option for those without a dual-layer DVD
>>> drive installed in their machine. The DVD installation
>>> instructions should also say "dual layer DVD" just to be clear
>>> about this known size problem.
>
> This is a good suggestion. Thank you! We'll do this for the next 4.0.2
> announcement and update the documentation accordingly.

Here's the updated documentation section:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/installation-guide/#copying-the-iso-onto-the-installation-medium

I've also updated the RC2 announcement on the website for anyone who
might refer to it in the future:

https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2019/11/03/qubes-4-0-2-rc2/#what-should-i-do

This will also help us remember to mention it in the next release
announcement.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS