On Saturday, December 14, 2019 at 12:29:03 PM UTC-6, awokd wrote:

> r...@aarden.me <javascript:>:
>
> > It has taken four years to get to here.  I have tried this with Debian
> and
> > Qube OS.  I could not get Xen on Debian to work due to my wireless only
> > networking of my laptop.  With Qubes, it has been getting wireless and
> USB
> > to both work.  This time, wireless worked maybe.
> >
> > There is a sys-USB qube.  This will be my next challenge.  I want to be
> > able to use a mouse and, as this is a laptop, and I would like to
> connect
> > to my USB3 docking station and test out the functionality.
>
> Mouse shouldn't be too hard, but some USB controllers don't like running
> inside a qube. To see the log, you need to be in su mode in a dom0
> session, so "sudo nano /var/log/libvirt/libxl/libxl-driver.log" should
> work. Check it shortly after attempting to start sys-usb if it is
> failing to start.
>
> --
> - don't top post
> - trim quoted reply to only relevant portions
> - when possible, copy and paste text instead of screenshots

On Saturday, December 14, 2019 at 12:29:03 PM UTC-6, awokd wrote:

> r...@aarden.me <javascript:>:
>
> > It has taken four years to get to here.  I have tried this with Debian
> and
> > Qube OS.  I could not get Xen on Debian to work due to my wireless only
> > networking of my laptop.  With Qubes, it has been getting wireless and
> USB
> > to both work.  This time, wireless worked maybe.
> >
> > There is a sys-USB qube.  This will be my next challenge.  I want to be
> > able to use a mouse and, as this is a laptop, and I would like to
> connect
> > to my USB3 docking station and test out the functionality.
>
> Mouse shouldn't be too hard, but some USB controllers don't like running
> inside a qube. To see the log, you need to be in su mode in a dom0
> session, so "sudo nano /var/log/libvirt/libxl/libxl-driver.log" should
> work. Check it shortly after attempting to start sys-usb if it is
> failing to start.

Thank you for the info.

The sys-usb showed up in the qube manager.  Clicking start on the
start/resart context menu initiated start up.  An error window popped up
pointing to the log file you indicate, libxl-driver.log.  The log reported:

   1. …libxl__device_pci_reset:  The kernel doesn’t support reset from
   sysfs for PCI device 0000:00:14.0
   2. …libxl__xenstor_child_wait_deprecated:  Device Model not ready
   3. ,,,qemu_pci_add_xenstore:  qemu refuse to add device: 0000:00:14.0,
   mistranslate=0,power_mgmt=0:
   4. …libxl__add_pcidevs:  libxl_device_pci_failed:  -3
   5. …domcreate_attach_devices:  unable to add pci devices
   6. …libxl__device_pci_reset:  The kernel doesn’t support reset from
   sysfs for PCI device 0000:00:14.0

---

[Dom0] Settings:  sys-usb

“PVH mode is recommended if possible (Linux kernel 4.11 or newer, no PCI
passthrough).  For Windows qubes always use HVM”

Virtualization

Mode: HVM

“PVH mode is hidden since it doesn’t support PCI passthrough.”

---

I changed the setting to PV (the only choice).  A note opened stating
“Using PV mode exposes ore hypervisor attack surface.”

I selected start from the qube manager sys-usb item.  A note popped up
stating it started, then the same error message was reported.

Note:

I previously selected both USB controllers in sys-usb Devices.

On removing the erroring controller (14.0):  Resulted in the same error.

On removing the other controller (no controllers selected):  Resulted in
“Resource temporarily unavailable”.

On adding the alternate controller:

   1. …xc_assign_device failed:  Operation not permitted
   2. …libxl__add_pcidevs:  libxl_device_pci_failed:  -3
   3. …domcreate_attach_devices:  unable to add pci devices

Next:

­­­From:  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/wdfpne96xhI

To be sure I went into Qube Manager, sys-usb->Qubes Setting->Devices and
used the "Configure strict reset for PCI devices" button to set it on
00:14.0.

I opened sys-usb settings and found the controller listed in the settings
pane (on the right).  The control button/bar at the bottom entitled
"Configure strict reset for PCI devices".  I clicked on the controller in
the ‘selected’ window, then clicked the strict reset button.  The
controller was then highlighted.  After applying the changes, I restarted
sys-usb.  It worked.

It was unclear that the controller did not already have the strict reset
button ‘on’.

The newly built vm uses the usb mouse.

It is curious that the mouse is also active in dom0.

I am using a windows laptop to take notes and work the web including this
session.  While the mouse works on dom0 on the other machine and the vm, it
does not work on the windows machine (probably because it is not plugged
into it).  I am excited to learn how to work in qubes – being able to jump
from dom0 to vms, take notes, post messages, email smoothly.

It is great having great support here.

Thank you.