On Sat, Mar 07, 2020 at 07:42:06AM -0800, xyzo wrote:
> I updated the pv drivers to 8.2.2 and now win 7 is running a lot smoother.
> If I attach the audio pci controller under devices in Qubes device manager.
> The audio will work and is recognized in win 7. That's great but Is there
> anyway I can get the audio to work with out attaching audio controller to
> only win 7? I'd like to have audio running in other appvms in parallel to
> hvm.

I use a little USB audio in/out adapter [1] for $9.99

> Also, attaching the USB controller pci to win7 will stop win 7 from
> booting. It will say "no bootable device was found" when I run it.  And if

I get this error if there is any storage media connected on USB when I
boot the Windows VM. Maybe try again and make sure nothing is connected
when you boot.

Also: for some strange reason I need to limit my VMs memory to 2048MB
when attaching the USB controller. Otherwise it'll crash. Your millage
might differ.

> I try attaching  any USB device  through dom0 "qvm-usb attach Win7
> sys-usb:2-7" I get "exception failed. Device failed to attach" I'm lost
> with this one. any help is appreciated thanks

It's my understanding that this functionality is simply not implemented
in the Qubes Windows drivers. The way this is implemented in Qubes is
using USBIP but instead of a network IP connection it uses the XEN
qrexec mechanism: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-app-linux-usb-proxy

So I tried to run USBIP in Windows and run an unchanged USPIP host in
sys-usb a couple years back and that worked for simple devices /
protocols (e.g. USB-to-serial interface but not more complex USB devices
like RealICE debuggger). So I gave up on that and instead have dom0
scripts to easily switch the controller between sys-usb, app-dev and
app-win.

/Sven

[1] TROND External USB Audio Adapter Sound Card with One 3.5mm Aux
    TRRS Jack for Integrated Audio Out & Microphone in
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L56C28R/

--
 public key: https://www.svensemmler.org/0x8F541FB6.asc
fingerprint: D7CA F2DB 658D 89BC 08D6 A7AA DA6E 167B 8F54 1FB6