On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 11:07:18AM -0700, xyzo wrote:
> So the script would basically be something like "qvm-pci attach app-win
> dom0:bdf_usb_controller_address"?

I always do this while the hvm is shutdown in which case you need to add
the --persistent parameter. Also some (including my) USB controller
don't support PCI resets so you need an additional parameter dealing
with that...

qvm-pci attach win --persistent --option no-strict-reset=True
dom0:xx_xx.x

> I will look into the usbip thanks..

Don't hold your breath. It won't work for more complex devices.

> But have you ever tethered into Win7 while USB controller attached to win7.
> [...] I think it's possible it's just a matter of configuring your win7 net
> adapter correctly..

Well I've seen it happen by accident ;-) My normal setup is to enable
the hotspot function on my iPhone and have sys-net connect to it via
WiFi.

Then I assign the USB controller to Windows and start it while my iPhone
is also connected to the PC to charge. In Windows I have iTunes
installed and with it the USB-Ethernet drivers. So as soon as Windows
sees my iPhone it uses it as primary network interface.

Basically I agree if you only thether then assigning the USB controller
to Windows will have the rest of Qubes offline (since now obviously
sys-usb doesn't have it anymore). But Windows should be able to use the
conntection if the right drivers are installed.

Side note: my old MacBookPro which I used with Qubes R3.2 had two USB
controllers. So I could keep one connected to sys-usb while the other
one was connected to Windows. Just had to figure out which port connects
to which controller. You might be lucky and also have two controllers.

/Sven

--
 public key: https://www.svensemmler.org/0x8F541FB6.asc
fingerprint: D7CA F2DB 658D 89BC 08D6 A7AA DA6E 167B 8F54 1FB6