On 3/21/20 9:09 PM, cacaosucre via qubes-users wrote:
Hello,

I cannot boot on Qubes anymore but I can access the file system. When I mount my qubes partition, it give me a huge mess of small 2g partition and bigger ones.

My goal is to reinstall qubes and I would like to restore my old VM with the backup restoration and migration <https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/backup-restore/> feature of qubes.

Is it possible and if so, which files should I look for ?

If not, what are my other options ?

( this is a clone the following reddit post : https://www.reddit.com/r/Qubes/comments/fmjr98/how_can_i_recover_my_qubesvm_if_i_cannot_boot/ )

Assuming you didn't make backups before the crash: You need to have a running Qubes system to backup VMs the normal way.

If you have room to spare on your disk, you may be able to install Qubes in that space. At that point, you have some options after booting into the fresh Qubes install. One is to define a Qubes storage pool that points to the old Qubes partition, but I'm not 100% sure how Qubes will react in that case.

Another way: In your new Qubes system, create VMs of the same name and then copy the relevant 'vm*-private' volumes from your old partition/vg into the current one using 'dd conv=sparse'. Repeat with any 'vm*-root' volumes for templates or standalone VMs you want to bring over. Lastly, this method does NOT bring over special VM settings, but if you had some that were firewall configs you can copy those easily from /var/lib/qubes/ on the old partition to the same path in the new dom0. OTOH, if you didn't customize any VM settings then its not really an issue.

One other possibility: There is an unofficial 'Qubes Live' distro you could use to boot into Qubes from USB stick or DVD. Maybe you could use it to try the storage pool technique without having to do an install.

--
Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket