On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 11:11:42AM +0200, dhorf-hfref.4a288...@hashmail.org
wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 01:48:58AM -0700, matteochicarella...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Firstly, is it safe to have Windows and Qubes on the same machine? I
> > use VeraCrypt for full disc encryption
>
> veracrypt does not support actual full disc encryption.

Really? It looks to me as if it does, and if you extract the loader from
the MBR and use it elsewhere, cleaning the MBR, it looks good to me.

> > Also, I've got a 2TB external HDD, would it be safer to run Qubes from
> > that and keep Windows on my internal drive or is that worse?
>
> if that HDD is connected via USB, i would not recommend installing
> qubes to it.
> while both "install to usb" and "install to hdd" are supported, they
> have major drawbacks.

perhaps you could expand on this? Do you mean security drawbacks, or
usability?
I often run Qubes from usb, both installed and live versions, and dont
hit *major* issues.

> > I want to keep maximum security and keep Windows and Qubes seperate.
>
> this is not possible.
> if you multiboot, you are very far from "maximum security".

What are the risks here? They will depend on how your system is
configured, and what sort of attack you are open to. And "maximum
security" will change according to your use case.

If you think that it is likely that your machine will be taken, and the
information extracted and used against you, then you will need different
security measures from the case where you are worried about a drive by
attack from a script kiddie.
Assess the risk, and plan accordingly.

> > Any answers to questions or installation guidance is greatly
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/multiboot/

+1