Yes this is a pain, and should be changed.
Also it would be nice to download a config  file and to apply it system
wide,
as this unlike the old xorg.conf with mode lines and stuff like that,
is just per user and just for the window manager as I see.
Compare the log in screen and you see.

So it would be nice to have an editable config file and the possibility to
set a system wide default config.
At least a desktop with tradefloor like monitor stands does not need any
reconfiguration for the screens if everything is set up smoothly.

Learned lesson: go the extra mile to buy a decent graphics board and dont
trust
X11 to span its desktop between two or more graphics boards, which it
theoretically
can do.
Not enough people debugging ist, I am sure.

Cheers,

Ludwig