On 8/5/20 7:29 PM, Dylanger Daly wrote:
Hmm, wonder if I should try building a 4.1 ISO with a Linux 5.8 Kernel, it's interesting because Xen is able to write to the framebuffer just fine, I think it's dom0 that isn't able to remap it so it stays at an address Xen had it configured for, it almost smells like an IOMMU/Memory Mapping issue, not necessarily GPU.

My Thinkpad T14 arrived and Qubes 4.0.3 installer behaves the same on the T14 as what you reported.

With Ubuntu upgraded to kernel 5.8.0 to fix broken suspend & brightness and system running hot; now its great.... extremely fast, cool and quiet. (Yes, I upgraded kernel bc the existing one had.)

I'm going to experiment with moving a couple of my Qubes VMs over to the Ubuntu install under KVM (using VM Manager app). I've already got an LVM thin pool setup and re-provisioning OS root snapshots to specific VMs before they boot as if they were templates.

There's UEFI Options for the UMA Framebuffer size of 512MB, 1GB and 2GB I've tried all variants unsuccessfully. I don't think it's a Xen issue because I tried simply moving my current laptop's NVMe, when I entered my LUKs Password (Blind) I could see LEDs on the keyboard initialize so I think 4.0.3 does indeed work fine.

FYI release notes for both Xen 4.13 and 4.14 mention additional support for new AMD Epyc processors. I interpret this as a server-oriented way of expressing support for certain generations of AMD processors, though I don't know how close Ryzen and Epyc are in terms of operation.

The Qubes 4.1 tree appears to have Xen 4.13 and Linux 5.7, currently.

I don't think there's a migration path for 4.0.3 - 4.1 (Backup & Restore) yet, I don't think the Qubes team have even signed any 4.1 ISOs yet either so I'd rather 4.0.3 but I'll take anything I can get at this point.

I feel the same way. I would love to run Qubes on my T14 but I have a feeling that Linux 5.7 won't cut it and I'm not experienced enough with qubes builder to confidently upgrade either Linux or Xen. I did make a sloppy attempt with ISO Master to replace the Qubes 4.0.3 installer ISO kernel with the Ubuntu 5.8.0 kernel but due to my ignorance about the format I couldn't get it to initiate the boot process.

--
Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket