On 8/13/20 10:59 AM, fiftyfourthparal...@gmail.com wrote:
If you were tasked with remotely hacking into a default but updated Qubes OS system (installation configuration of 4.0.3, but with updated templates and dom0), how would you do it? What would you attack?  The precise objective (e.g. retrieve a PGP key from a vault, read a text document, achieve persistence, modify the system) is open--I just want to see how people might generally approach this question so I might better plug potential holes.

Sorry for the extremely broad question--please think of this as something like a 'red team' exercise.

Since the lions' share of Qubes installs are Intel based, I think a side-channel attack would be the most likely way to breach a Qubes system. But also its not just Intel CPUs that are weak here; DDR4 memory offers a big attack surface as well. Such attacks can be carried out with javascript from websites.

OTOH, a state actor wishing to attack a Qubes system might have better luck with the RPM MITM against Fedora that we discussed in another thread.

--
Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket