On 12/10/20 6:25 AM, unman wrote:
On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 06:49:35PM -0800, Andrew David Wong wrote:
I used to be able to be able to do the following to copy text from xterm in
Fedora and Debian VMs:

1. Select/highlight the desired text, thereby inserting it into the PRIMARY
buffer.

2. Press <Ctrl + middle mouse button> in order to bring up a menu (I think
it was the "VT Options" menu).

3. In this menu, select the option to copy text from the PRIMARY buffer to
that VM's local clipboard.

4. Press <Ctrl + Shift + C> to copy text to the Qubes inter-VM clipboard and
proceed as usual.

However, some time ago, step 2 suddenly stopped working, and I have no idea
why. Pressing <Ctrl + middle mouse button> in xterm now does nothing, as far
as I can tell. I've checked my trackpad/mouse settings, and everything seems
fine and unchanged. I've tried pressing the left and right mouse buttons
simultaneously instead, but nothing.

I know that I can probably create custom xterm settings that will allow me
to copy text, but I'd still like to know whether there's a way to do it by
default for cases in which the VM is uncustomized. Does anyone know if there
is such a way?

On Debian you can hold down the Ctrl key before pressing the button, to get the
VT options menu. See if that works for you. Does for me.

No, that's exactly the behavior I described as no longer working for me. <Ctrl + middle mouse button> means the same thing as holding down Ctrl before pressing the middle mouse button.

--
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS