So you don't base AppVMs on the minimal template, but have multiple "adjusted" almost-minimal templates?

Unman is the actual maintainer of the debian templates
(https://www.qubes-os.org/team/#unman)

My understanding of what he wrote is that he bases "almost *all*" of his
"working qubes" on "adapted minimal templates". Meaning on
debian-minimal plus specific packets for the specific purpose.

He might have also other qubes based on other distributions (e.g. kali,
parrot etc).

I guess you have a special update cache also, as otherwise you spend hours with updating. Can you explain a bit more?

You might find his notes on apt-cacher-ng helpful:
https://github.com/unman/notes/blob/master/apt-cacher-ng

I am sure unman will answer himself, but thought I might already give you a little preview as far as I can.

/Sven

--
 public key: https://www.svensemmler.org/0x8F541FB6.asc
fingerprint: D7CA F2DB 658D 89BC 08D6 A7AA DA6E 167B 8F54 1FB6