On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 10:29:54AM +0100, River~~ wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I noticed the new "alpha" level isos in the downloads and feel
> motivated to help testing it.
>
> I obviously do not want to go over to alpha for my normal work, but
> would be interested if I can install it alongside my existing current
> release. That way I would be testing that it works on the exact
> hardware that I would eventually be running it on when it reaches
> production quality.
>
> Do I proceed as for the instructions for installing Qubes as a second
> boot option to Linux? If not, what would be different?
>
> What additional risks might I introduce by running a development
> version of Qubes on the same physical machine as the production
> version?
>
> Obviously I would not have any files/partitions shared apart from the
> EFI partition.
>
> Would it make sense to install it onto an EFI partition on a different
> internal disk? Would it be better for any reason to install it onto a
> USB drive? (my guess to both of these is no, because when the test
> system is running the production system would be on the host even if
> not mounted)
>
> My current production version is R4.0.3 and I will shortly be
> replacing it with R4.0.4. At the time of writing the current alpha is
> R4.1.0 but that my (or may not) change by the time I get around to
> installing it.
>
> I thought I would dual boot the new R4.0.4 with the existing R4.0.3,
> then once R4.0.4 is verified as working for me I would transfer the
> user level files and then overwrite the older production version with
> the alpha test version. Anyone who can think why that might be a bad
> idea please speak now or forever hold your peace (as they say in
> English weddings)
>
> I did a google search for "dual boot qubes versions site:qubes-os.org"
> but it only pointed me to info about dual booting with non-Qubes
> systems.
>
> Once successful, would ppl welcome my spending time adding a section
> to the dual boot online documentation? I would be happy to do so if
> just one person thinks it might be useful
>
> WArmly
> River~~

With classic GRUB it's straightforward, and (imo) doesn't warrant new
docs.
I cant help with UEFI at all, and that probably *does*.

That said, you would be running alpha software alongside your main
system. Having separate encrypted drives/partitions will undoubtedly aid
separation, but it's still a risk, and not something I would advocate if
you value your data.
If it's possible for you to swap out your drives, and have a separate
4.1 drive, I would recommend that instead.