On 3/30/22 08:46, haaber wrote:
On 3/29/22 22:55, 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote:
haaber:
I need help to modify the Q4.1 installer ISO file. I did learn how to
pack & unpack isos. That is fine. The idea is a new install on a larger
SSD of Q4.1 instead of risky "upgarde" tentatives that finish less
clean. (benefit: if it fails I can go back to running Q4.0)

1) I naïvely placed a new kernel in /extrakernels but that does not seem
to impress the boot-loader. I find no way to select which kernel to boot.

Not entirely sure what you are trying to accomplish here. A Qubes 4.1
install ISO with a newer kernel? Can't you install 4.1 with a recent
prebuilt ISO and update the kernel after? If it's due to hardware
incompatibilities, I've seen some install and update on one system, then
move the hard drive to the one with newer hardware.

Thanks for your reply! Badly enough, I rather need a "kernel downgrade":
any xen kernel 5.x will freeze my Q4.0 system between seconds and some
minutes (a curse on Intel and Dell at this point for selling shit at
high prices). So my qubes runs for one year now in a "disaster mode"
with a 4.19 kernel for xen, and normal 5.x kernels in guest VM's (mainly
debian).  The same happens when I try a fresh install with Q4.1: install
attempts with the std ISO fail 100% by system freeze before finishing
installand leave an unbootable SSD behind.

Hi Haaber,

I used to have similar freezing problems with 4.0 on my Dell laptop.
I found that it was due to an upgrade to the intel-i915 driver in X.
Replacing the new version with an older version cured it for me.

However, I've had no trouble with Qubes 4.1.

A search for "linux xorg driver for i915" gives some idea of the
problems, but it is all a bit confusing.

Mike