Am 01.08.23 um 16:29 schrieb Omri:
Hello group,

I'm trying for the last few days to install Qubes OS (no matter what
version) on my old laptop.

The laptop is:

    - Dell Inspiron R15 (bought around 2013)
    - CPU – Intel Core i7 - 3517U
       - VT-d ; VT-x ; EPT - included, according to Intel's website (

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/65714/intel-core-i73517u-processor-4m-cache-up-to-3-00-ghz/specifications.html
       (
       - On the BIOS though, there's no activation for any of these features
       specifically, but it has virtualization enable/unable in general.
    - RAM – 8 GB
    - Storage – 1 TB

It currently runs Windows 10 with no apparent problems other than slow
speed.

When I tried to install Qubes, at first it looked ok but quickly becomes
gibberish.

[image: 3. first few lines (sorry the camera lost focus).png] img 1 - first
few lines. the camera lost focus (sorry) but everything (4 lines) is
properly readable and makes sense.

[image: 4. text in dotted unreadable characters.png] img 2 - text appears
in dotted characters of no language and doesn't make sense (it's not even
Braille). Also, text cursor (underscore) appears oddly twice.

[image: 5. more of this text. it is now accepts input.png] img 3 - more of
this text... At the end it allows keyboard input but I can't know what
input to enter. If pressing "Enter" key, it reshows the last line.

* Between each image there's an empty black screen for about half a second.

** Couldn't attache images\videos

It than accepts input, but I can't know what input to enter.

I tried numerous versions, almost all of them; some did better, some less.
Version 4.0 looked better than all the others and this is what is shown in
the video.

Other versions asked me first if I want to "test and install", "install"
and so on, the normal menu.

I tried to look in the documentation and in forums. In addition, I've asked
in some forums – none of them helped.

I'm new to Qubes so it's possible my answer is out there but I didn't
notice.

Any tip, lead or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Omri

Hello,

Is your installation medium fine? Maybe, you should check if there is no difference between the image on the installation medium and the original ISO image file. Do you use Linux? If yes, see

https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/7030#issuecomment-1042944011

(Do not forget to replace `/dev/sda` with the actual installation medium and use the correct size and ISO image.)

If you need more help on this, don't hesitate to ask!

Best regards,
Tobias Killer