On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 9:13 AM, Rob <nom...@example.com> wrote:

> Of course it is all caused by the failure to include timepps.h in the
> kernel include file package, where they belong IMHO.  Apparently there
> is unresolved debate about that.  Ubuntu puts this development related
> file in the pps-tools package, and openSUSE does not have it at all.

Yes there are years later unresolved issues.  Ubuntu (reasonably) wants
this resolved upstream.  Debian, taking a broader view, also wants it
resolved upstream.  I don't know anything about openSUSE.

> In fact on Ubuntu there is another problem (not on openSUSE): the
> ntp source package does not build correctly, it halts on compilation of
> ntpd/refclock_jupiter.c ...
> It is unclear to me how this bug can be present and the package can
> still be distributed in binary form...

Because the jupiter driver isn't in the binary (at least not in 12.04).

So on the one hand it would be nice if the source package depended on
pps-tools but on the other hand it would be nice if every distribution
shipped a "stable" dev release but on the other hand one might argue that
the upstream should provide timepps.h fallback for more platforms but on
the other hand maybe

  ntpd shouldn't ship with any refclocks and if you're using one you should
be prepared to build the requisite kernel and driver(s).