On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 9:54 AM, David Woolley
<david@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote:
> On 23/06/14 13:12, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
>>
>> I think it all depends on the VM implementation
>
> It will still be subject to potentially large scheduling delays between NTP
> packet arrival and processing.  Also, unless you restrict VM to a single
> host, the TSC could jump

The OP said "Why are NTP Servers running on virtualized hardware
(vmware) unsuitable to serve time to clients?" but referred to a
generalized recommendation.  I'm sure the recommendation is intended
for a "generic" virtual environment not the commercial product VMWare.
I don't know about VMWare specific capabilities but the systems I'm
familiar with either:
1) have one clock with a fixed offset allowed for domains.
2) have a vm clock that's a reasonable copy of the host clock which
can appear to be changed but isn't.
3) have a vm clock that is read-only (attempts to write return
insufficient privilege).

All of which make running a clock-disciplining system fruitless.

I wondered about this when reading "$40/mo in Bandwidth" for a pool
server. I suppose long T deviation could provide insight in clock
quality.