On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 9:34 AM, William Unruh <un...@invalid.ca> wrote:
> On 2014-06-24, Rob <nom...@example.com> wrote:
>> It is not possible to run programs on the bare hardware.
>
> Since the whole VM is a set of programs running on the bare hardware,
> this is clearly wrong

Yes but ... sometimes we don't type what we mean to type.

To speak to something I'm more familiar with:  The objects formerly
known as Solaris Logical Domains (LDoms) are set up by the system
monitor (Openboot).  That in-ROM supervisor cannot run NTP.  The
so-called primary LDom can run NTP and in fact controls the (only)
hardware clock for all other LDoms.  Similarly I believe the ESXi
hypervisor microkernel is closer to GRUB than an OS.  But I have no
direct experience -- hence hand-waving.

Rob has defined things so they match his world view.  While not
actually wrong I think this could be misleading.