Hi,

gooly wrote:
Hi,

I just installed ntp (Meinberg, once on Win7, once on a vps 2008 R2).

Please note this is the standard NTP software from ntp.org. We at Meinberg just build the binaries from the public sources and put them into a setup program to simplify installation on windows.

On my Win 7 I see in C:\Program Files (x86)\NTP\etc the drift file
but on the vps there is no drift-file?

And after starting (and several restarts) the time-difference getting
bigger and bigger.
What's going wrong?

There are 2 basic problems here:

1.) Ntpd expects the system time to increase monotonically, and at a constant rate. It can then try to determine the system time drift compensate it, and save the determined value in the drift file.

Virtual machines may not keep time properly at all, depending on how the virtualization software has been implemented. E.g. in early versions of VMware timekeeping was very unstable, so you couldn't use ntpd successfully at all. However, in current VMware versions this has been very much improved, so ntpd works as expected.

If subsequent pollings of real NTP servers from within a VM may don't yield consistent results then ntpd is unable to determine the real drift, and compensate it, and thus no drift file is created.

2.) In an earlier reply from September 3
http://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/questions/2014-September/038715.html
I've pointed you to some information *why* and *how* you should upgrade to a newer NTP version
http://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/questions/2014-June/038285.html

Ntpd v4.2.6p5 (the current stable version) *may* work properly on Windows Vista and newer, but there's a good chance that it is unable to discipline the Windows system time even on a physical machine, and due to limitations of virtualization things even get worse in a VM.

So I suggest you

- try with updated binaries
- use minpoll 6 maxpoll 6 when specifying your time servers

When ntpd starts it tries to get the required rights to set the system time, and if Windows doesn't grant these rights there should be an associated entry in the Windows application event log.

However, I doubt that your problems are due to limited rights.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren