On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 10:00:08PM -0500, Paul wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 8:53 PM, William Unruh <un...@invalid.ca> wrote:
> > On 2015-02-19, Paul <tik-...@bodosom.net> wrote:
> > > In the specific case of PPS I don't see any advantage.
> >
> > Well, no. Lichvar did some tests with PPS and found that chrony
> > disciplined the clock much better than did ntpd (factors of over 10). I
> > think that is a difference.
> >

> Do you have a link to that?  The graphs I saw were all for (simulated?)
> clients.  But it's been a while.

It could be this post
http://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/questions/2010-March/026157.html

My update to that after the years would be that 3x is not really the
minimum difference. If the clock is stable enough, they can perform
similarly.

> A difference is not necessarily an advantage (I said advantage not
> difference) but I would have assumed that <
> https://github.com/mlichvar/chrony/blob/master/README> was correct which
> says one microsecond* (I assume offset but it's unclear) but let's go with
> 10x NTPd.  On my machines NTPd offsets and jitter can be sub-microsecond.
> So the target is O(10) nanoseconds?

I don't think 10 nanoseconds is possible with 1us jitter and normal
unstabilized clock. When using a PTP clock on PCIe as a reference it
can get quite close though, see this graph from stats collected over
a few hours:

https://mlichvar.fedorapeople.org/chrony/refclock_phc0.png

--
Miroslav Lichvar