On 2015-02-25, Paul <tik-...@bodosom.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 4:17 PM, William Unruh <un...@invalid.ca> wrote:
>
>> It is superior in that you can do it easily. Whether that is of any
>> importance to you is of course up to you. Myself I have never used it.
>>

> As is often the case you completely miss the point.

As is often the case, you have no point to make.

>> Fine. It has already been written for chrony. For those that want it,
>> this is an advantage for chrony. I could argue that ntpd is
>> no better than nothing because I could write a program to do what ntpd
>> does. While (possibly) true, it is a silly argument.
>>

> If there's an real use case for the feature then writing a few lines of
> some scripting language to implement an equivalent solution for NTPd is not
> a significant effort.

Again, you cannot read. The claim was this feature was the same as
orphan or local mode. You seem to now agree that it is not. That was my
point.

> If such an add-on was available for NTPd would you stop or would you
> continue asserting that Chrony has some unproven advantage.  And until
> someone shows the level of correction you can expect then it remains
> unproven speculation.

As I have said, I do not use it. It is a difference from ntpd. If ntpd
had it then I would agree it is not a difference or an advantage for
chrony. But until it is written it is.

So go ahead and write it, When you do and get it incorporated into ntpd,
I will advocate removal of that sentence
from the description of the advantages of chrony in the docs.
 I do not expect to have to do so anytime soon.