Esta es la otra charla que les prometi

Hernán Mauricio Romero
Intercollege Graduate Program in Plant Physiology
The Pennsylvania State University

------- Inicio de email reenviado -------

Following are draft prepared remarks of Debby Delmer of UC Davis and
President of ASPP for the FDA public meeting Monday, December 13 in Oakland:

Thank you. My name is Deborah Delmer and I am Professor and Chair of the
Section of Plant Biology at the University of California at Davis.  My
comments are made on behalf of myself and the American Society of Plant
Physiologists, a non-profit society of 5,000 plant scientists who elected
me to serve this year as the Society's President.

As a consumer of food as well as a scientist, I can fully appreciate the
public's desire for assurance that the bioengineered foods being sold today
are safe.

So the brief message I would like to relay to these concerned citizens is
that I, as a plant scientist, DO have confidence in the mechanisms that are
currently in place to assure such safety.

Most of the procedures used to generate bioengineered plants were developed
by scientists like myself and my colleagues within the American Society of
Plant Physiologists as a part of our ongoing efforts to understand the
fundamental aspects of plant growth and development.  We use these
procedures daily in our own laboratories, and, understanding the mechanisms
involved, we also understand that there is nothing fundamentally "unsafe"
about the introduction of a foreign gene into a plant.  In fact, it is
clear that the directed introduction of a single specific gene of benefit
into a plant-- such as one that confers disease resistance or ability to
produce more of a beneficial vitamin-- is a more controlled and potentially
even safer method than the classic mechanism of conventional breeding
wherein many genes are reshuffled in a single cross with a wild relative.

I am personally sometimes amazed that the same people who express deep
worry over bioengineered plants have no qualms whatsoever about ingesting
medicinal herbs of unknown and varying composition nor about eating a new
exotic fruit.  However, I do appreciate their concerns. With the exception
of the few radical groups who use scare tactics and coin terms like
"Frankenstein Foods" to describe these plants, I think most of our citizens
question these new technologies simply from lack of understanding of what
they are and how they are being used.  Thus, I believe that we scientists
who DO understand these technologies have an important role to play in
reassuring the public that the benefits of these new approaches to plant
improvement far outweigh any potential risks.

Of course, no system of food production is entirely without risk.  For this
reason, we do advocate continued monitoring to ensure that any new gene
introduced is clearly safe, and we also support the need for additional
research on  important issues relevant to these technologies--one example
being further research aimed at gaining a more comprehensive picture of the
potential for genetic exchange between bioengineered plants and their
wild-relatives.

Thank you for your attention.

Brian Hyps
Public Affairs Director
American Society of Plant Physiologists
15501 Monona Drive
Rockville, MD 20855
301-251-0560 (phone)
301-309-9196 (fax)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------- Fin de email reenviado -------

Abre gratis una cuenta de email en StarMedia Mail. El mejor servicio de email gratis
de toda Latinoamérica. http://www.starmedia.com