>Much better to implement directly what this is trying to do: i.e. to
>have a "halfmonth" time step. This is just the union of two "monthly"
>sequences, one on the 1st of each month and another on the 15th of
>each month.

For some applications that might be true. But not for others. For a month
with 31 days, there are 14 days before the 15th of the month and 16 days
after the 15th, so, for example, March 16th (specifically noon) rather than
March 15th would be the halfway point if you define "halfway" in terms of
the distances to the beginning and end of the month. For a month with 30
days -- like April -- the halfway point would be the instant between the
15th and the 16th of the month. Do you label that instant April 15 or April
16?  (I prefer "15".) Don't get me started on February.

- Dan Murphy