Felix,

I see your point about the "halfway" point acting like the first day of the
month in its relativity to the ending date of the month: they're both
variable.

I'm an actuary. Like accountants, actuaries tend to measure "financial" time
in months because of how the books close. But in our mathematical models
time takes on a continuous nature. So our problem is how to build a computer
representation of time that reflects both its continuous nature as well as
the varying-length, "discrete" nature of financial months. I've found that a
fixed value for a halfway point complicates actuarial calculations. It could
serve other purposes just fine, however.

Best regards,
Dan