Readline <= 6.2 shouldn't require the SIGWINCH patch, so if older
versions have trouble finding rl_resize_terminal then you could wrap a
macro around that part.

The isearch C-c bug has existed forever, according to Chet Ramey. Yes,
I had to retrain myself to use C-g to exit isearch but it's confusing.
It would be nice to fix this C-c bug on older versions too, but my
solution used some global variables and I'm not sure which Readline
version they date from.

Out of curiosity, did you delete the HAVE_READLINE_READLINE_H block?

Thanks so much for working this out!

Frederick

P.S. I do use Emacs too, but I have some bindings which stuff the
current region into a numbered 'GNU screen' window (where R is
running) - I was never a fan of inferior Emacs processes. Also a
keybinding which stuffs "source('CURRENT_FILE')\n". And a rxvt-unicode
'url-select' extension which copies text after a "> " prompt, to get
commands I edited back into Emacs. That's why I still use the basic
interface.

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 10:58:59PM +0200, peter dalgaard wrote:
> Spoke too soon, both systems now build, but neither has the original bugs
> fixed....
>
> (Incidentally, I realized why the ctl-R...ctl-C bug never bit me: The emacs
> habit is to exit isearch with ctl-G and that works flawlessly.)
>
> -pd
>
> > On 18 May 2016, at 22:40 , peter dalgaard <pda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Ah, got it. For some ancient reason config.site on that machine had
> >
> > LDFLAGS=-L/usr/X11R6/lib
> >
> > in config.site, and that prevented configure from inserting -L
> > /usr/local/lib, so linked /usr/lib/libreadline.dylib, which is the
> > Apple-supplied one, which possibly is really libedit...
> >
> > -p
> >

> >> On 18 May 2016, at 22:01 , peter dalgaard <pda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> gcc   -L/usr/X11R6/lib -o R.bin Rmain.o CommandLineArgs.o Rdynload.o
> >> Renviron.o RNG.o agrep.o apply.o arithmetic.o array.o attrib.o bind.o
> >> builtin.o character.o coerce.o colors.o complex.o connections.o context.o
> >> cum.o dcf.o datetime.o debug.o deparse.o devices.o dotcode.o dounzip.o
> >> dstruct.o duplicate.o edit.o engine.o envir.o errors.o eval.o format.o
> >> gevents.o gram.o gram-ex.o graphics.o grep.o identical.o inlined.o
> >> inspect.o internet.o iosupport.o lapack.o list.o localecharset.o logic.o
> >> main.o mapply.o match.o memory.o names.o objects.o options.o paste.o
> >> platform.o plot.o plot3d.o plotmath.o print.o printarray.o printvector.o
> >> printutils.o qsort.o radixsort.o random.o raw.o registration.o relop.o
> >> rlocale.o saveload.o scan.o seq.o serialize.o sort.o source.o split.o
> >> sprintf.o startup.o subassign.o subscript.o subset.o summary.o sysutils.o
> >> times.o unique.o util.o version.o g_alab_her.o g_cntrlify.o g_fontdb.o
> >> g_her_glyph.o xxxpr.o   `ls ../unix/*.o ../appl/*.o ../nmath/!
 *.o` ../extra/tre/libtre.a ../extra/intl/libintl.a ../extra/tzone/libtz.a
-L../../lib/x86_64 -lRblas -L/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin11/4.2.1/x86_64
-L/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin11/4.2.1 -L/usr/lib -lgfortran
-Wl,-framework -Wl,CoreFoundation -lreadline  -lpcre -llzma -lbz2 -lz -licucore
-lm -llzma -liconv