Hiroyuki Kawakatsu wrote:

Hi,

I am building 2.1.0 (re-release version, if that matters) on a Windows XP
machine. Following the instructions 3.1 "Building from source" in
R-admin.html, I managed to get up to 3.1.6. But when I try to build the
recommended packages, I get

C:\hiro\codes\proj\R-2.1.0\src\gnuwin32>make recommended
--- Unpacking recommended packages
---- VR
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../library/boot/DESCRIPTION'.  Stop.
make: *** [unpack-recommended] Error 1

What did I do wrong? In /library/Recommended I do see boot_1.2-22.tar.gz
but I don't see the /boot subdirectory in /library. Thanks for any help,

Maybe you forgot to unpack with the correct tools?
tar xfz R-2.1.0.tar.gz
should do the trick using tar from the tools provided un Duncan Murdoch's page, but many other (un)compress tools under Windows cannot deal with the links (e.g. boot.tgz) provided in the Recommended packages' subdirectory.

Uwe Ligges

h.
Hiroyuki Kawakatsu
School of Management and Economics