Hi, Mike, et al.:

<in line>

On 11/22/2010 5:43 PM, Mike Marchywka wrote:

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 17:28:57 -0800
From: spencer.gra...@structuremonitoring.com
To: g...@well.ox.ac.uk
CC: r-h...@stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: Re: [R] Find in R and R books

Other people like R Site Search
(http://search.r-project.org/nmz.html), which is available via the
standard R function "RSiteSearch".

For me, the fastest literature search on virtually anything
statistical is the "findFn" function in the "sos" package.
(Disclaimer: I'm the lead author of that package, so I may be biased.)
"findFn" sorts search results to put the package with the most matches
first. The print method opens a table of the results in a web browser
Again, I have in past taken docs for various things like R, rendered
html to text and used things like grep and built my own indicies.
However, your facility does seem in that line of thought.

Personally I haven't had a problem with google scholar or
probably even citeseer would return good hits, R is not
a common english word so I think google can make use of it.

Thanks for this.

For me, anything that mixes math with worked examples is vastly superior to either alone, because I no longer have to puzzle sometimes for hours over a single line or page of mathematics: I can try a variety of examples and walk through the code line by line until I understand. In that way, I find R packages much more intelligible than theoretical treatises. This is especially true when the R package comes with a vignette or companion documentation with script files working the examples (e.g., like the "scripts" subdirectories for "nmle" and "fda").

Spencer

with hot links to the individual matches. "sos" comes with a vignette,
which includes an example of the "writeFindFn2xls" function. This
writes a "findFn" object to an Excel file with two sheets: The second
is all the matches found. The first is a summary of the packages found
with extra information not available via RSiteSearch.

Hope this helps.
Spencer