It will be difficult or impossible to store objects of
class Date in a matrix -- you'll need to store them
in a data frame:

pts = seq(as.Date("2011-01-01"), as.Date("2011-01-09"), by="1 day")
z = data.frame(pts[1:3],pts[4:6],pts[7:9])
    pts.1.3.   pts.4.6.   pts.7.9.
1 2011-01-01 2011-01-04 2011-01-07
2 2011-01-02 2011-01-05 2011-01-08
3 2011-01-03 2011-01-06 2011-01-09