On 26/04/11 10:46, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
On 25 April 2011 at 17:39, Abraham Mathew wrote:
| Hello folks,
|

| Here's is info on what system I'm working on.
|>  sessionInfo()
| R version 2.13.0 (2011-04-13)
| Platform: i686-pc-linux-gnu (32-bit)
|

| I'm trying to install the XML package. However, I end up with the following
| error message.

You can install the prebuilt package

     r-cran-xml

directly from the Ubuntu repositories.

Just out of idle curiosity I tried this.  (Don't want/need XML, but since
I've fairly recently started using Ubuntu, I like to see whether I can drive
these sudo apt-get tools .....)

So I did

    sudo apt-get install r-cran-xml

and it seemed to run without error.  Then I started R and tried

    library(XML)

and got the error

    Error in library(XML) : there is no package called 'XML'

So I then said ``Hmmmm. Maybe I've misunderstood, and the sudo apt-get bizzo has just provided the underlying xml2-config stuff, and I still need to do the install
of the R package XML.  So I tried that, and got the message:

    checking for xml2-config... no
    Cannot find xml2-config
    ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘XML’
    * removing ‘/home/rolf/Rlib/XML’

So either something's not working properly or I'm still not understanding what
I should be doing.  Enlightenment?

    cheers,

        Rolf Turner

P. S. I *believe* that I have the Ubuntu repositories referenced correctly in
my /etc/apt/sources.list file:

deb http://cran.stat.auckland.ac.nz/bin/linux/ubuntu lucid/

        R. T.