On 10.01.2012 22:40, R. Michael Weylandt <michael.weyla...@gmail.com> wrote:
What lists are you referring to when you state: "there are many packages that do not
show up in the list of binaries. They do in the list of sources"? CRAN? To see all
packages installed on your machine try

rownames(installed.packages(())

I think available.packages() will give packages available from your local CRAN
mirror.

Just a hunch, but if you are seeing different behaviors between home and work
it may well be that a work-firewall is blocking packages which contain
pre-compiled DLLs/SOs while allowing the source code through.

Also, if you aren't on Windows the vast majority of packages are quite easy to
learn compile yourself

Michael