On 06/06/2012 01:41 PM, Andreia Leite wrote:
Yes it's windows (vista). It's not a specific package. I've tried more than
a CRAN mirror and the message it's always date (the list with the packages
simply doesn't appear).
What proxy settings should I verify specifically (sorry I don't know a lot
on informatics)? I've installed a few packages before this and I never had
such a message.

With a brand-new 2.9.2 I did this

> utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
Error in read.dcf(file = tmpf) :
  Line starting '<!DOCTYPE html PUBLI ...' is malformed!
> traceback()
4: read.dcf(file = tmpf)
3: available.packages(contriburl = contriburl, method = method)
2: install.packages(NULL, .libPaths()[1L], dependencies = NA, type = type)
1: utils:::menuInstallPkgs()

> trace(available.packages, tracer=quote(print(contriburl)))
Tracing function "available.packages" in package "utils"
[1] "available.packages"
> utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
Tracing available.packages(contriburl = contriburl, method = method) on entry
[1] "http://cran.cs.wwu.edu/bin/windows/contrib/2.9";
[2] "http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.9";
Error in read.dcf(file = tmpf) :
  Line starting '<!DOCTYPE html PUBLI ...' is malformed!

and that second url is no longer valid (redirected to the institution home page). Perhaps

> getOption("repos")
                      CRAN                            CRANextra
  "http://cran.cs.wwu.edu"; "http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin";
> options(repos=getOption("repos")["CRAN"])
> utils:::menuInstallPkgs()

A similar problem came up on the Bioconductor mailing list, where our installer was pointing Mac users to the non-existent

  http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.15

Martin

Thanks

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Uwe Ligges
<lig...@statistik.tu-dortmund.de>wrote:

On 06.06.2012 17:14, Andreia Leite wrote:

Dear list,

I'm trying to install a package but every time I select the option form
the
menu this error message appears:

  utils:::menuInstallPkgs()

Error in read.dcf(file = tmpf) :
   Line starting '<!DOCTYPE html PUBLI ...' is malformed!

Do you have any clue of the reason why is it happening? I'm using a older
version (2.9.2) but it always worked perfectly!

Have you checked proxy settings?
Is this Windows?
Have you checked if the (also unstated) CRAN mirror you are using  works
correctly and delivers that part of the repository?

Uwe ligges

Best regards,
Andreia LEite

1100 Fairview Ave. N.