On 10/02/13 00:22, Steven Dwayne Randolph wrote:
> R-help,
>
> There are several packages that have package 'XML' as a  dependency.  I
> cannot get this package (XML) to extract or  install.  I have tried manually
> downloaded to local machines (client PC and Linux), unsuccessful extraction.
> How can this be compiled manually?  How can a new version be on CRAN and this
> problem still exist?   See the thread for specific errors and screen shots.

What do you mean by "cannot get this package (XML) to extract or install"?

Did you download the tarball "XML_3.98-1.1.tar.gz"?  If so, what happens
when you do "tar xvf XML_3.98-1.1.tar.gz"?

Do you have the requisite R development tools (appropriate compilers etc.)
installed?

What happens if you do the install from within R, as in

     > install.packages("XML",lib=<some library for which you have write
permission>)   ???

When I tried that I got a whinge about a lack of "xml2-config". After
sum yumming around
(I use Fedora Linux) I found that

     sudo yum install libxml2.x86_64 libxml2-devel.x86_64

did the trick, and I was then able to install XML using install.packages().

     cheers,

     Rolf Turner
<http://cran.stat.auckland.ac.nz/src/contrib/XML_3.98-1.1.tar.gz>