You are ignoring the warning issued when you load plyr after dplyr and then
complaining. Simply reversing the sequence of library statements is sufficient
to fix your example.

I agree that it is not ideal and that using just one at a time is easier, but
you can use both, and for now a lot of packages use plyr and are not going to
be rewritten for dplyr because dplyr doesn't do everything plyr does.

The more subtle problem with using both is that you may need to be explicit
about which package's function to use with dplyr:: or plyr:: notation, so WHERE
POSSIBLE I also recommend using dplyr.