On 30/04/19 12:01 PM, Marc Schwartz wrote:

Hi Guys,

I suspect that this entry from news() for 3.6.0 is relevant:

"When loading namespaces, S3 method registrations which overwrite
previous registrations are now noted by default (using
packageStartupMessage())."

Always a good idea to read the NEWS file with a x.y point release.
Peter usually includes it in his release announcement e-mail:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2019-April/462510.html

OK. This seems to be the issue. Basically I guess I could just ignore the messages --- but I'd really rather not see them.

The news() says they are printed by "default". How can I move away from the default?

I presume that I need to invoke the suppressPackageStartupMessages() function, but it is not at all clear to me just how I should do this.

Perhaps I should put a call to this function in a *.R file
(e.g. "First.R") in my R directory.

I've experimented with various ideas; none so far have worked. The function suppressPackageStartupMessages() takes an argument "expr". It is not clear what "expr" should be in this context.

Perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree.

Any advice?

cheers,

Rolf