From: r-help-boun...@r-project.org [mailto:r-help-boun...@r-project.org] On Behalf Of Gerrit Voigt
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 4:48 PM
To: r-help@r-project.org
Subject: [R] Sweave encoding problem

Hello,
Sweave seems to have trouble processing german letters in R.
For example, my noweb R-input looks like this.
<<>>=
Oberflächenfehler = c(4, 11, 6, 2, 7, 9)
@
If I send it through Sweave, I get the following error message.

error:  chunk 1
Error in parse(text = chunk) : unexpected input in "Oberflä"
extra: Warning message:
In readLines(f[1]) :
   underfull last line in "C:\...."

(my R is in german, so I needed to translate the error message myself.)

I got the impression, that this is an encoding issue of Sweave, since the input typed into R directly works just fine. The encoding I use in my noweb document is utf8.
I don't think it has something to do with German letters.
I saved the following text in a file 'sweavy.Snw':
\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}
Hello World!

<<>>=
1+1
@
<<>>=
Oberflächenfehler = c(4, 11, 6, 2, 7, 9)
@
\end{document}

This is what happened in R:
library(utils)
Sweave("sweavy.Snw")
Writing to file sweavy.tex
Processing code chunks ...
 1 : echo term verbatim
 2 : echo term verbatim

You can now run LaTeX on 'sweavy.tex'
sessionInfo()
R version 2.7.0 (2008-04-22) i386-pc-mingw32
locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:
[1] stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base
And also the dvi looked fine after processing "latex sweavy.tex"
To make things sure, I did in my editor (GNU Emacs 22.1.50.1)
C-x RET f utf-8
to change set-buffer-file-coding-system to utf-8.
Still works fine.

Maybe this helps you further to track down the reason for the problem?!?

Best,
Roland

This mail has been sent through the MPI for Demographic Research.  Should you
receive a mail that is apparently from a MPI user without this text displayed,
then the address has most likely been faked. If you are uncertain about the
validity of this message, please check the mail header or ask your system
administrator for assistance.