> I agree with Thomas, over the years I have installed R on at least 5
> computers.

I don't see why per-marchine statistics would not be useful. When you
installed a package on five machines, you probably use it a lot, and it is
more important to you than packages that you only installed once.

Furthermore I don't think the distribution of packages has to be
problematic. I guess downloads are only slightly related to the specific
mirror, so download statistics from one of the popular mirror's would do for
me.

Of course these statistics are never perfect, but they could be
informative...