On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Meyners, Michael, LAUSANNE, AppliedMathematics wrote:

Robert,

What do you mean by "not symmetric"? If you mean unbalanced in terms of sample
size, that's not a
problem if you choose the right specifications for wilcox.test. The
Kruskal-Wallis-Test is a
generalization of the unpaired Wilcoxon test for more than two groups. Not sure
whether
kruskal.test works with just two groups, but if so, it should give the same
results as wilcox.test if
you set the arguments accordingly.

Having said that, I should mention that unlike some normality-based post-hoc
tests, the proposed
approch is not based on a common error term. The paired comparisons will ignore
the fact that you
had a third group, and this will in particular result in (possibly quite)
different power of the three
comparisons, depending on the sample sizes and the noise given in just these
two groups. I
wouldn't know what to do about that, though.

It's worse than that: you don't necessarily even get the test in the same *direction* when you ignore the third group, though it takes some effort to produce a good example. There's a nice paper by Brown & Hettmansperger in ANZ J Stat a few years ago where they look at the decomposition of the KW test into paired tests and 'non-transitivity' components.

       -thomas

Michael