Kim Vanselow wrote:
Dear r-helpers!
Jan Thiele asked r-help-list in february, but I could not find an answer to his
question. I have the same problem:

While preparing figures of 'envfit' plots with vegan for publication, I ran
into a layout problem, that I found no solution for in the literature or the
help archive:

The labels of the vectors that indicate correlations of environental variables
sometimes overlap with each other or with other content of the figure. Hence, I
would like to rearrange them.

Is there a possibility to specify where the vector labels are plotted or,
alternatively, is it possible to plot vectors only, so that the labels can be
placed with 'text' later?

Thank you for any hints on how to overcome this layout problem.

Thanks
Kim

I'm sure that Jari will have a better solution, but a quick look
at plot.envfit() in pkg:vegan indicates three possibilities:

1. use cex=0.7 (e.g.) to reduce the size of the printed labels.
2. rename your variables to short one- or two-letter names.
3. comment out the following line in plot.envfit()

    text(vtext, rownames(x$vectors$arrows), col = col, ...)

Of course you will have to know which arrow represents what
when you place your text on the plot. For placing the text,
I would use

 text(locator(1), "your_label", cex=your_preferred_label_size)

I only tested this with the varechem example in ?envfit.

 -Peter Ehlers